Wholewheat Bread – epic fail!

When I first started this blog I made a promise that I would share my failures as well as my successes. Up until now there hasn’t been anything really to report in the failure stakes because, well, everything I cook turns out pretty much as I’d hoped. So, maybe you could say I’ve become either complacent or cocky and when this happens failure is just around the corner.

It was all going so well. The dough was behaving and as I left it to rise in an oiled bowl loosely covered with a teatowel (a rather fancy teatowel too) things were going to plan. When I returned an hour later it had puffed up nicely and was beautifully springy to the touch. I was feeling fairly smug as I transferred the dough to the tin it would be baked in. Left it again to further rise for another 30mins. But when I returned this time it was looking distinctly flat and had as much give as a rock. Perplexed I thought it would be fine once I popped it in the already pre-heated oven. In it went and my fingers I crossed. To no avail. As I watched it from outside the oven door I willed it to rise but that bread would just not budge. Not an inch. Not at all!

I was so furious with the damn thing I almost threw it out the window but a hungry husband urged me not to. So I sliced and buttered it, served it with some soup and pretended to myself it was perfectly edible – kinda like a denser wheaten bread. Who am I kidding – epic fail alert!!! I was too angry to take a photo – this abomination did not deserve to be documented. If no photographic evidence exists, it didn’t really happen, right?

I wracked my brains, as to what could’ve gone wrong. I read the recipe a dozen times and still could not fathom where I had messed up. Then it came to me. I’d purchased a different yeast a few days before (in Wholefoods no less) so I promptly examined the back of the packet. Aha! There it was in black and white: dissolve the yeast in warm water before adding it to recipe. I curse you silly ‘dissolve before use’ yeast. This is the 21st century. I don’t have time to be dissolving yeast for goodness sake. Suffice to say I will not be buying this yeast again – too bad I have two more packets in my cupboard, grrrr:(

8 responses to “Wholewheat Bread – epic fail!”

1. Aoibheann says:

I love that you posted this! lol
    I’ve failed miserably a few times at making different types of bread and still tried to eat it with butter. Hilarious!
    I’ve only improved a little 😉

2. Richard says:

Oh, that’s a shame. 🙁 You know what though? I think these are the best photos yet! Especially the top one, but in all of them the light just looks really natural. x

• peasoupeats says:

Thanks, I was pretty happy with them too. Unfortunately, most of the photos I take are in the evening (and even whacking the lights up isn’t enough) but the daytime ones are definitely better. I keep meaning to make one of those lightbox thingys, which would help. I wonder what the photos from my parents kitchen are going to be like!

3. Olive says:

Weird – I’ve never heard of yeast that you don’t have to dissolve before! Don’t worry about the other two packets though – it only takes seconds to dissolve it and will add about half a minute to the total bread-making time so you don’t have to waste it 🙂

I did a class about capturing and using wild yeast a few weeks ago in work which was amazing, you’d love it. It would really tie in with your new food outlook too, I’ll have to show you how to do it when you’re back. I’ve got some 12 year old starter in the fridge which you can have a bit of to try and grow your own!

4. peasoupeats says:

The yeast and the recipe I’ve been using doesn’t require you to dissolve it first – this new yeast, however, was different but I didn’t even think to check the packet, just carried on regardless! Anyhoo, I dissolved the other packet but I had another disaster – the bread just wouldn’t rise. This recipe is usually failsafe so I tried it AGAIN, this time not dissolving the yeast and adding it to the dry ingredients and it worked. Obviously a shoddy workman always blames his tools but I’m pretty certain there was something wrong with the yeast, as I’ve never had problems like this before. Thankfully we now have bread but I will not be buying that brand of yeast again! Cheers for all the advice, I look forward to baking some bread with you when I get back xx

5. lucy says:

wow olive have you been making sourdough at work?

6. lucy says:

and i agree it sounds like dodgy yeast. In my experience the only thing yeast cares about is temperature and the dissolving is just a quick way to make sure it gets evenly distributed through the dough. You should write to the company and see what they say. You will probably get a lifetime supply of yeast products.