Mexican Lasagne

No, not Chilaquiles although that is next on my list! It’s no secret that I adore Mexican food and as this cuisine happens to champion beans it makes for a complete nutritious vegan meal, which is all good in my book. It may also be no secret that I’m a bit of a perfectionist and whilst I try to resist these urges on a daily basis when it comes to cooking I don’t fight it because food deserves to be perfect.

You might recognise the components of this dish – they’re pretty much the same as my Enchillada recipe, which was a big hit with many of you – yay and thankyou! Whilst I really liked this dish myself I couldn’t help but think it could be bettered so here I have transformed it from a great dish to a fantastic one.

The inclusion of the homemade refried beans has given this dish the edge it needs to truly make it a Mexican triumph. I couldn’t stop there, of course. I used passata in the mexican enchillada version but I think I prefer the tomato sauce to be less thick plus it makes for a better addition to the lasagne as the passata has a tendency to dry out. I like my sauces to be saucy;)

So there you have it – the new and improved, tweaked and tampered, perfected and primed (as in, ready to be eaten) Mexican Lasagne. If you liked my enchilladas you are gonna LOVE this! I guarantee it will be a hit with adults and children alike because a) who doesn’t like lasagne? and b) Mexican food makes you happy. Fact.

mexican lasagne

1 onion

2/3 sweet potatoes

2 cups organic sweetcorn

2 cups cooked black beans

1 can cooked borlotti/pinto beans

1 can chopped tomatoes

4 wholewheat flour tortillas

4 garlic cloves

1 scotch bonnet

1 heaped tsp cumin

paprika

1 tbsp tomato puree or organic ketchup (this is all I had)

few sprigs thyme

2/3 bay leaves

large handful chopped flat leaf parsley

2 sliced tofutti mozzarella slices (optional)

refried beans

Finely chop the onion and mince two garlic cloves. Heat a little oil in a saucepan and add the onion, season and allow it to soften gently for several minutes. Add the garlic along with the cumin and 1 tsp paprika. Cook for several more minutes.

Drain and rinse the borlotti beans. Add to the pan. Remove the thyme leaves and roughly chop before adding to the pan. Season, cover with water, add the bay leaves and simmer for 30-40minutes topping up with water if necessary.

Remove the bay leaves and mash using the back of a fork or a masher. Season. It shouldn’t be too dry but if you think it is add a little water. Keep warm on a very low heat, stirring frequently.

tomato sauce

Empty the tomatoes into a frying pan. Mince the remaining two cloves of garlic and finely chop the chilli. Add to the tomatoes along with the tomato puree/ketchup, sugar and seasoning. Stir and allow to gently simmer for 30mins.

Towards the end of the cooking time add the chopped parsley.

roasted sweet potatoes

Pre-heat the oven to 150 degrees/300 fahrenheit.

Wash the sweet potatoes, dry and chop into large chunks. Place on a baking sheet and coat in paprika, seasoning and bake in oven for 30-40mins.

assembling the lasagne

coat the bottom layer of a baking dish with a small amount of tomato sauce – just enough so the tortilla doesn’t stick to the bottom. Halve all the tortillas and layer one plus another half onto the  bottom of the dish. You can fill in the gaps by halving the tortillas again.

Spread the refried beans onto the tortillas, spoon over half the sweetcorn and black beans and top with half the roasted sweet potato and a little tomato sauce.

Repeat and top with with the remaining tomato sauce. Break the mozzarella slices into pieces and place on top if using.

Bake in oven (same temp as you baked the sweet potatoes) for 30minutes.

Serve with freshly chopped parsley.

18 responses to “Mexican Lasagne”

1. Angie says:

This looks scrumptious! I make Mexican lasagne regularly – generally used tvp mince + fried onions + black beans or red kidney beans as the filling. It’s good to make when you have some left over chilli as well, and makes a very quick and simple meal that way.
    I will definitely be trying your version as well!

2. MaryMoh says:

Oooh….I love this….looks very healthy. I love Mexican food and have been trying to learn more. This would be another addition 🙂 Thanks very much for sharing.

3. Rhiannon says:

Thats looks great, love the idea of using tortillas instead of lasgane sheets.

4. peasoupeats says:

Thanks Mary! Plenty more Mexican recipes were that came from – keep reading;)

5. Justine says:

My boyfriend (and I!) will love this! Thank you so much. I have always wondered how to make refried beans and am happy to know that you don’t actually have to fry them. Must be something with tth translation or something?

🙂

6. Choclette says:

This looks so good and just what’s needed as I watch the rain lash against the windows. Love vegetarian Mexican food – yum.

• peasoupeats says:

It’s so funny, when I first read this comment we were experiencing the same weather but I had no battery left on my computer to reply. Did you make the lasagne in the end? We had spaghetti (my comfort food) and were so snug in our campervan listening to the wind outside:)

7. peasoupeats says:

Hey Angie, great idea using leftover chilli – will give that a go!
    Thanks for leaving a comment Rhiannon – let me know if you try the recipe or any others.
    Hi Justine, yeah, homemade refried beans are the best – you’ll not go back to those canned ones:)

8. Aoibheann says:

This is definitely going on the to-do list! One of my fav foods is lasagne and my kids fav is sweetcorn. This is a winner 😉

9. peasoupeats says:

Hey Aoibheann, so pleased you like this recipe – let me know how the kids like it:)

10. Marly says:

I’ve made a recipe similar to this, but didn’t include the sweet potatoes. This recipe looks so delicious! I can’t wait to try it. Thanks!

11. Sabrina says:

WICKED WICKED WICKED BEST vegan/Mexican Lasagne EVER!!! LOVE IT! Will make it at least another million times before it starts to get boring.. I did add some extra Daiya vegan mozza on top, and a wee bit of red wine (home made) to the tomato sauce.. My partner & kids are not vegan and getting them to convert & eat the food that I do proves challenging… not with this!! Was enough to feed a hungry family of four (three being male) with enough left over for all four of us to have lunches the next day.

• Sabrina says:

Also, (and just because I like to make things difficult for myself) I made and used corn tortillas instead of whole wheat store purchased ones and sprouted black eyed peas instead of the other beans mentioned as they were all I had! Thank you so much for this dish 🙂

• peasoupeats says:

That’s fantastic Sabrina, so glad you and your family liked the dish. Your additions are fab too, I adore corn tortillas – I use to live in a heavily Mexican populated part of Chicago and I miss the wonderful tortillas I use to get there:( Hopefully you’ll find a few more recipes on the blog that’ll satisfy your family! Thanks for reading and making x

12. […] Vega over at Sweet On Veg. Who can resist spicy lasagna with sweet potato? Not me! Thank you Pea Soup Eats, for this glorious culinary […]

13. duckydaddlz says:

I am at this moment making the Mex. Lasagna. some of the ingredients were not specific. You mentioned sugar in the tomato sauce. How much? How big are the cans of tomatoes? Also, there were spices mentioned in the explanation of the tomato sauce, but non were listed. The spices listed all seemed to go into the refried beans. sorry. I was a bit confused. I’m sure it’ll be fine if I don’t hear from you, but the clarification would be nice.

• peasoupeats says:

Hey there, sugar is to taste – I usually put in about a teaspoon amount. You don’t have to but I find it helps with the acidic nature of canned tomatoes. The canned tomatoes are 400g. There are no spices in the tomato sauce only chopped chillis – the seasoning mentioned is in reference to salt and pepper. Again, this will be to taste, so it’s up to you how much you want to put in. That’s it, I think. Hope that helps? Let me know how it turns out:)