The Perfect Baked Potato

I just had the perfect baked potato. It’s not the first time either. I’ve been using this method for years now and time and again I end up with exquisite baked potatoes – fluffy on the inside, crispy on the out. For years I avoided making baked potatoes because I thought they were a bit of a faff – how silly was I? But they’ve become a staple in our house and we eat them with just about anything and they are particularly suited to leftovers.

I made a batch of chilli sin carne last night with the thinking it would last me a few days and as with most leftovers the flavours only got better and made an excellent accompaniment to my spuds. The chilli isn’t the important bit, of course, but this chilli was kind of amazing especially given the kitchen constraints I have presently – i’ll never take my spice cupboard for granted again! I did a kidney bean/black bean combo this time around and I was really happy with the result. Incredibly tasty and substantial, you won’t need a huge portion believe me, particularly if you serve it with the jacket potatoes.

Onto the spud in question. There are a few key steps that will ensure the perfectness I am promising. If they are followed to the letter I will be amazed if your own baked pots will be anything less than stunning. These will also make fantabulous twice baked potatoes and whilst I was tempted to do that with these babies, when I cut them open I knew they were too good to mess around with. Simple is, more often than not, best.

the perfect baked potato

1 large white organic potato

extra virgin olive oil

sea salt

pepper

Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees celsius/400 degrees fahrenheit.

Prick the potato all over with a fork – at least six times. Rub the entire potato in the oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and cracked black pepper.

Place directly onto oven shelf and bake for (at least) an hour (and it will depend on your oven) or until the skin is crispy on the outside. Halve lengthways and serve on its own, with soy butter or any topping you fancy. I heartily recommend chilli!

18 responses to “The Perfect Baked Potato”

1. Choclette says:

i love baked potatoes, but we hardly every have them as they take so long to cook in the oven. But yours look so good, I think we’ll be having them soon.

2. peasoupeats says:

Oh thankyou Choclette:) The good thing about them is you can pop them in and then leave them – I try to do a few chores whilst they’re in the oven, haha.

3. Corinne says:

Aine I’m giving this a whirl! My mum has an aha and it does the best jacket pots ever and everything after that seems crap! Will report back on true results x

4. Arlene says:

I just LOVE your blog. Becoming a vegetarian after 31 years has been amazing but also more than a little daunting. I feel like I’m starting from scratch all over again. My aim is to be vegan however I’ve just felt it’s near on impossible with family and eating out etc. Your blog is a god send, I’m trying new things and starting to realise it might not be that hard at all. Massive thanks xx

• peasoupeats says:

Oh wow Arlene, what a compliment – I am so chuffed you like my blog! You’ve made the best decision you’ll ever make going veggie. I was overwhelmed initially too but now it’s just normal and I can’t imagine living any other way. Eating out can be tricky but not impossible – I might actually do a blog post on that as it sounds like it might be helpful. Keep at it, it will get easier I promise x

5. […] your last baked potato didn’t look half as good as these. Here’s the recipe that was used for this […]

6. Erik Marcus says:

Gorgeous photos! Thanks for posting your recipe here. Blogged this at Vegan.com:

7. Nigel says:

Do you not subscribe to a little par-boiling?

8. Melissa says:

Wow saw the pictures on Vegan.com (Thanks Eric!) and thought I need to remember this, then I thought well I’ll just add that blog to my list in my reader… a couple of days passed and I thought naw that isn’t that big of a deal…but today I followed your instructions (only difference is I used Avocado Oil) and OH MY GOODNESS!!! THE ABSOLUTE BEST POTATO!!! No more going to a local drive through for their steamed potatoes!! THANK YOU!!!

9. […] potato (you can find my recipe for the perfect baked potato here) topped with lemon and coriander hummus, served with a huge salad consisting of little gem lettuce, […]

10. Sera says:

Perfectly fluffy and flavorful, I tried it topped with an olive tapenade-hummus but wasn’t 100% loving the hummus, still the potato was the best I’ve ever made!