Soy Free Vegan Brownies!

Another week passes and again I have failed to update my blog more than once. This is really starting to get me down. Part of the problem is I’ve taken the lumix home and I ain’t bringing my gorgeous new canon on tour with me, that baby is staying safe within the confines of my apartment. This means that the weekends are my only opportunity to shoot my food and I’m already cramming a whole lotta stuff into a short space of time.

Also, I still haven’t gotten to grips this wonderful new piece of equipment but I can already see the difference in my photos, which is very heartening. I have a very long way to go but I’m in this for the long haul so it’ll be interesting to compare and contrast photos this time next year when I’ve mastered all this camera has to offer!

You should know though, my dear readers, that you are never far from my thoughts. I’m always problem solving and attempting to come up with delectable yummies that I hope you like. This week I’ve been grappling with the whole soya issue – y’know, some people are wary and others would just like an alternative and I aim to please. I was inspired to bake this whilst leafing through my copy of The Kind Diet. I’d left it in Ireland when we were briefly staying with my Parents after our relocation from the States and because of the awful weather and a host of other things it only arrived recently. It was so nice to re-introduce myself to this truly wonderful book. I know I’ve mentioned it before but let me just say that even if you have no interest in ‘going vegan’ you should still give it a gander. The author, Alicia Silverstone, has such a beautiful perspective on life and you can’t fail to be wowed by the recipes.

To that effect let me continue by saying that every cook works differently. Some take inspiration from reading other blogs, cookbooks, magazines and watching the seemingly endless supply cookery programmes now on tv. Whilst others prefer to remain in their own cooking bubble not wanting to be influenced and deriving all their own recipes from their, obviously very creative, cooking brains – oh to be so effortlessly talented! I would say I fall between the two. I love nothing better than sitting down with a good cookbook or indeed an episode of Nigella, all the while thinking how I can adapt or change the recipe to suit my own needs – f.y.i. Nigella’s dishes are particularly suited to veganizing.  Then there are times when I experiment, allowing myself to run wild in the kitchen using up whatever ingredients are at my disposal – my Husband calls this ‘making something out of nothing’.

I’m a total, straight up daydreamer, so there are, of course, times when I have a good old ponder about food and cooking and recipes and eating. This is mostly when I come up with an original (at least to my knowledge!) recipe but I’m sure the seed of the idea is always taken from something I’ve heard of, eaten or made in the past. I wonder if it’s possible to come up with an entirely unique recipe without it, even subconsciously, being connected to another? Sheesh! I definitely need to get out more,  I must be slowly going mad on this tour. Correction, I have definitely gone ever so slightly mad on this tour – one week to go, eek!!

The brownies, the brownies! Okay, so these should suit anybody with a sweet tooth and a penchant for chocolate. They are uber chocolatey and the perfect sweetness (do not feel tempted to bung in a load of sugar, there really is no need) and would go really nice with a scoop of non-dairy ice-cream. We kinda defeated the purpose and had a dollop of whipped soy cream but that’s just us. I would maybe, possibly omit the brown rice flour in favour of plain white next time but the brown rice flour does work perfectly well in this recipe, it’s just a preference thing.

That’s it. Soy Free Vegan Brownies. Yum and er, yum.

soy free vegan brownies

3/4 cup wholewheat flour

3/4 cup brown rice flour

1/2 cup cocoa powder

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

1/4 cup maple syrup

1/4 cup date syrup

1/4 cup blackstrap molasses

1/2 cup chocolate oat milk

3/4 cup rice milk

1/2 cup sunflower oil

large handful of toasted, chopped walnuts (optional)

glaze

1 cup dark choc vegan buttons (good quality ones – I like Montezumas)

1/4 cup vegan sunflower spread

Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees celsius/320 fahrenheit. Line and prepare a baking tin.

In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients.

In another bowl combine the wet ingredients. The blackstrap molasses are very thick and sticky so don’t worry if it doesn’t mix thoroughly.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and fold in using a spatula before adding the *walnuts.

*To toast the walnuts place them on a baking sheet and put them in the pre-heated oven for 10-15mins stirring occasionally. Roughly chop.

Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tray and bake in oven for 25-30mins. Insert a toothpick into the centre and if it comes out with a little batter still on it’s  good to go – if it comes out clean you may have baked for a little too long.

Let it cool completely before making the glaze.

For the glaze

Place a little water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Then reduce the heat to barely a simmer – the steam will do the work. Place a heat proof bowl on top of the  saucepan and add the chocolate buttons and sunflower spread. Allow it to gently melt giving it some encouragement with a spatula now and then. When is it smooth and glossy pour it over the brownies and spread evenly over the entire bake with the spatula. Set it to one side (preferably a cool area) for at least an hour.

You can also keep it in the fridge but the glaze will harden. It is equally delicious this way and will keep the brownies fresh for a week.

19 responses to “Soy Free Vegan Brownies!”

1. Jill says:

Fabulous! Brownies without all the sugar and vegan too? Looks yummy. Great post and now you’re making me feel bad since haven’t got around to updating the blog. It’s amazing how time passes so quickly in a week. I mean, haven’t you got other things to do than blog? 😉

• peasoupeats says:

Yay Jill, glad you likey:) My blog is my baby, I hate not being able to update regularly – speaking of time passing quickly, I can’t believe peasoupeats is almost a year old, yikes!

2. Daniel says:

I do have to wonder if there might be just a *little* bit of sugar in those two syrups and the molasses! Still, looks great and I’m sure they’ll add a lovely richness as well as sweetness.

• peasoupeats says:

Haha, indeed Daniel, I take your point but really I was referring to refined sugar (the white stuff!). The sweeteners I’ve used here are more natural and certainly less processed. Fruit contains sugar but I wouldn’t equate eating an apple with a packet of sweets, would you? Also, sugar has no nutritional value but the molasses are a great source of iron so these choccy treats are definitely a healthier alternative to the ‘normal’ brownie. I’m kinda obsessed with molasses if I’m being honest – I even put it in my chilli! Thanks for leaving a comment, I hope you visit again and make one or two of the recipes:)

• Daniel says:

Hmmm. Molasses is a by-product of the process of making sugar, so I wouldn’t call it more natural or less processed – you can’t make one without making the other! Then again, sugar’s pretty natural already I suppose. All the “processing” involved in extracting sugar, molasses, or maple or date syrups is more or less the same thing: boiling, steaming etc. So I’m not too fussed about it, I do that to potatoes all the time!

I’m not sure I understand your question about the fruit, but no, sweets are full of all kinds of stuff, whereas fruit is pretty healthy. Doesn’t mean that fruit is “sugarless” though! ;o)

But anyway, none of that really matters – what’s far more relevant is that there’s no doubt in my mind that when I make them (this weekend – I’ve got all the ingredients ready!) they will be far more delicious because of these more interesting sweeteners, rather than just sugar. Sugar has a taste all of its own and it’s not that nice. Can’t wait!

3. Choclette says:

These sound great. I’ve been quite surprised at how good the vegan cakes I’ve made have been.

4. Rob says:

why does everyone claim their recipes are ‘sugarless’ when they add stuff like chocolate oat milk, syrups and molasses? sugar is sugar, whether its natural from fruit sources or added secretly to chocolate products, it’s there and just as bad for you. any more than what you get in two pieces of fruit, and you’re done for the day.

• peasoupeats says:

You win Rob – I’ve duly amended the title:) Hope you treat yourself to more than fruit – an occasional treat never did anyone any harm (to my knowledge anyway!) 😉 If you’re not into sweet things then there are loads of savoury dishes on the blog. Have a peruse – maybe you’ll find a recipe you’d like to make! Thanks for reading and do come back.

5. peasoupeats says:

So pleased you’ll be making them this weekend Daniel. I’ve decided to remove the ‘sugarless’ bit from the recipe title as it is a little misleading. I think you’re right about sugar having a distinctive taste. Funnily enough these did taste way more chocolatey than usual perhaps for that very reason!

6. peasoupeats says:

Oh excellent Daniel – so happy you liked them:)

7. Those brownies look fabulous and I love that they’re soy-free. The Kind Diet is such a wonderful cookbook–it got me to go veg (and I know many others who did too because of it). I also have Nigella’s How to be a Domestic Goddess, and I agree–many of her recipes can easily be veganized–which is great because they are usually pretty darn decadent! Thanks for the recipe!

8. Jessica says:

I just made these, and they’re delicious!

On the note of including “sugarless” in the description, I like it when recipes do that. If some of your readers need to get technical about it, maybe you could put “refined sugar-free”. But when I’m scrolling through looking for a dessert recipe, I only select the ones that mention all natural ingredients or no refined sugar. Refined sugar gives me terrible headaches, so I don’t use it at all. I don’t make desserts very often, but when I do I always use natural sweeteners like maple syrup or rice syrup or agave nectar or date powder or coconut sap.

Thanks so much for this recipe, and I’m glad that even though you changed the name, the term “sugarless” still shows up in the caption on foodgawker, or I never would have clicked on the picture and found your recipe!

• peasoupeats says:

Thankyou for your lovely comment Jessica, I really do appreciate it. I’m delighted you made the brownies and enjoyed them:) Please do come back, I plan on making many more recipes without refined sugar – I’m trying to cut down on my sugar intake so am always experimenting with more natural sweeteners.

9. Tina says:

These look delicious!I hope to try them soon.We love brownies!

10. […] Rum Brownies – The Little Teochew Magical Layered Brownies – Mel’s Kitchen Cafe Vegan-Sugarfree Brownies – Pea Soup Eats Chevre Brownies – The Urban […]

11. […] I know, I’ve posted brownie recipes before (try here and here) but I swear these are my best brownie effort yet. I combined the best elements from two […]